Match Reports‎ > ‎

Div 2 vs Cornafean

posted 19 Jun 2013, 09:11 by Unknown user

The Seniors travelled to Cornafean on Saturday to play out their third meeting in less than twelve months. With Laragh winning the last two encounters it was third time lucky for Cornafean who were convincing winners.

Laragh had good possession in the first few minutes but their first three attempts were off the mark. It was Cornafean’s full forward Gerry Sheridan who put the first score on the board after five minutes. Corner forwards Adrian MacCaffrey and Cian Geoghegan followed suit in the following minutes to put all the full forward line on the score sheet.

Goalkeeper Andrew Smith made his way up the field to take a 45’ but luckily for the Laragh men his effort was wide with the score remaining 3points to no score after 10 minutes. Soon after Cornafean were on the attack with Padraig Tully making inroads into the Laragh defence . A last stitch effort by Laragh’s number 7 Liam Brady denied him a shot at goal, keeping his side in the game.

However Cornafean were not disheartened. Cornafean’s midfielder Val Sheridan caught the ball cleanly from a Laragh Kick-out. The ball was worked up to Gerry Sheridan who made space for himself and fisted it over the bar to put four between them.

In a similar occurrence Sheridan in midfield caught the ball from Laragh’s kick out but was fouled by Laragh’s Darragh Brady. The resulting free was kicked to Sheridan at full forward who got away from Patrick King running out from the 13 metre line. Sheridan caught the ball and kicked on the turn and the ball sailed over. Laragh now trailing by 5 with 12 minutes on the clock.

With Cornafean now dominating at midfield it wasn’t long before Val Sheridan had his chance to kick the point of the game from 45 metres out.

Laragh now started to come into the game with Declan Brady and Conal Donohoe having chances. In the 22nd minute Seamus Cooney passed to Liam Brady on the run, who in turn passed off to Cian O’Rourke at half forward who was brought down.

Paddy Rudden converted the resulting free to get the ball running for Laragh.

Laragh, now running at them, were passing well but the next attack saw the ball drop short into the arms of goalkeeper Andrew Smith who cleared the ball. Laragh were successful with their next attack, Darragh Brady passed to Adrian Cooney who was running with intent. The ball made its way out to Paddy Rudden who coolly kicked it through the posts.  Six point to two now and Laragh with the momentum.

Gerry Sheridan was thinking otherwise however and he scored his fourth point of the game, this time from the right hand side. 7-2 the score.

Laragh’s Liam McKenna was the next to get his name on the score sheet after he picked up a loose ball around the forward line.

Laragh were to have the last score of the first half. The ball was well worked from corner back Phillip Fitzsimons to Patrick King to Ruairí Power who passed it to Paddy Rudden around the half forward line who was then brought down. Paddy knocked over the resulting free to leave only three between the sides at half time.

Cornafean were the first on the ball in the second half but their effort was the wrong side of the post. Cornafean had a goal chance shortly after but Gerry Sheridan couldn’t get enough of a touch on the ball as it sailed past him.

A Ruairí Power free led to Laragh’s fifth point being scored by Conal Donohoe around 30 metres out from the end line on the right hand side. The margin back to 3.

Cornafean were back at it again though and won a free inside Laragh’s 45 metre line.  Cormac Geoghegan was in the right place to receive a pass and he kicked over to make the score 9 points to five.

Laragh had two frees in scorable positions soon after this but failed to convert. Cornafean punished them and were soon six points ahead. Adrian Cooney took a pass from Liam McKenna to make it 11 points to six but Cornafean had other ideas. Points from Padraig Tully, Gerry Sheridan and Barry Doyle put them in the driving seat.14 points to 6, 8 now the difference and Cornafean holding the lion’s share of possession.

Brian Carolan who was introduced at midfield for Laragh added some nice lofted passing to the game, one of these made their way to Liam McKenna who made no mistake and put it passed Andrew Smith and into the Cornafean net. A Paddy Rudden free then brought the scores to 0-14 to 1-7, the momentum swung again.

Cornafean again showed their steel and finished off the game strongly with another two points. Paddy Rudden scored a well taken free from beside the right sideline but unfortunately it was not enough to bridge the gap. It ended Cornafean 0-16 Laragh 1- 08

Laragh Utd:

Martin Smith, Kieran O Donoghue, Patrick King, Philip Fitzsimons, Declan King, Seamus Cooney, Liam Brady, Darragh Brady, Declan Brady, Adrian Cooney (0-1), Paddy Rudden (0-5, 4f), Cian O’Rourke, Ruairí Power, Liam McKenna (1-1),Conal Donohoe (0-1)


Andrew Smith, Dan Wharton, Eamon Gaffney, Niall Corcoran (0-1), Cormac Geoghegan, Barry Doyle, Paul Brady, Val Sheridan (0-1), Mark Johnson, Padraig Tully, Niall Sheridan,Ciaran Duignan, Cian Geogehegan (0-1), Gerry Sheridan,  (0-5), Adrian MacCaffrey (0-1)