Match Reports‎ > ‎

Laragh hold out against a Fighting Kildallan side

posted 11 Jun 2012, 06:40 by Unknown user   [ updated 11 Jun 2012, 06:42 ]
PJ Duke Park was the venue for Laraghs and Kildallans second encounter of the League. Both teams were out to take the points and also with a third encounter due with both teams meeting in the first round of the Championship neither team was going down without a fight. The first five minutes consisted of end to end attacks but neither team converting any scores. Kildallon were first of the mark a point in the sixth minute coming from a shot on goal by Nial Cassidy which was deflected over the cross bar by Laraghs keeper Martin Smith. Laraghs first score came from their midfielder Daragh Brady a great score taken of the run coming through from the centre. Patrick Rudden took Laraghs next score a well worked point involving good link play between Enda Cullivan and Adrian Cooney. Kildallon were next on the attack however the Laragh defence held out and with Barry Cullivan overturning the Kildallon advance a long ball was played into Laraghs full forward Gerry Murray who with quick hands passed to Adrian Cooney running through to kick a massive point over the bar. The 16th minute saw Kildallans midfielder Stephen Wynne who in a great display of football took the next score, catching the ball from the kick out and carrying to the 30 metre mark before kicking high over the bar. Paddy Rudden converted Laraghs next score a point taken from a free for a foul on the full forward Gerry Murray. Conal Donohoe done well for the Laragh side in taking the next point in which he had to work hard to fight of an aggressive Kildallon defence. The Kildallon defence paid for their aggression as the next score again came from a free a point taken by Paddy Rudden. Kildallans Kian Crowe took their next score again another free given away by a throw ball in the Laragh full back line. Both teams again exchanged scores before the half time whistle with Paddy Rudden taking a massive score from the right side 30 metres out from a ball played in by the hard working Declan King and Kildallans score came from a high free kicked into the box by Nial Cassidy which found the safe hands of Kian Crowe who is always dangerous on the ball kicked a great score over the bar. The half time score ended 0-07 to 0-04 in favour of the Laragh side.

The second half seen a gear change in both teams as both tried to make their point. Kildallans Kian Crowe who had a great game got the first score of the half a good point from a well worked ball up the centre of the field by the half back Shane Mc Parkland. Laragh were next of the mark, a free kick taken by Paddy Rudden 35 metres out found the Laragh midfielder Enda Cullivan running through who cleverly kicked to the bottom corner of the net to get the first goal of the game. Laragh building on this momentum took the ball from the kick out and great link play between Adrian Cooney, Ruairí Power and Paddy Rudden ended in the hands of a determined Colin Mc Kenna who kicked it over the bar on the run. Again Laragh took the next score another bit of good link play between an on fire Paddy Rudden ended in the hands of Daragh Brady who kicked the point of the game running through from 40 metres out high over the bar. Kildallon were not beaten yet and No 13 Kian Crowe who never stopped working brought his side back into the game kicking the next three points of the match two from play and one a free, a well taken score kicked accurately from 25 metres out. Kildallon continued to attack however the Laragh defence worked hard and a ball knocked over by the busy Shane O Rourke carried through to link up with Adrian Cooney who found Paddy Rudden to kick it over the bar. Laraghs Adrian Cooney earned Laraghs next score a well taken point taken 30 metres out worked in from the kick out. Kildallon again were by no means beaten the midfielders Fergal Maguire and Stephen Wynne worked from the kick out to win the ball and kick it into the full forward line the ball was broken by the Laragh defence however somehow Kildallon supersub Michael Power got his boot to it to land it in the back of the Laragh net. Kildallon built on this momentum kicking two more points over the bar the first coming from substitution John Ross and the second a sneaky point well taken by corner forward Daragh Mc Govern. However time ran out for this Kildallon side, the final score being Laragh 1-11 to Kildallon 1-10. Kildallon worked hard through the game and will be unhappy not to have at least got the draw however Laragh dominated from the start and they can bring a lot of positives from this performance, they worked hard and played some good football throughout the game.

Laragh Utd: M Smith, P Smith, D Brady, B Cullivan, S Cooney, S O Rourke, D King,  E Cullivan, D Brady, C Mc Kenna, P Rudden, A Cooney, C Donohoe, G Murray, R Power,  Subs N Smith for R Power,  L Brady for P Smith (Injured), C Hand for E Cullivan.

Kildallon: J Conaty, D Bannon, N Crowe, F Donohoe, W O Grady, S Mc Parkland, D Fee, F Mc Guire, S Wynne, d Neary, S Crowe, N Neary, K Crowe, N Cassidy, D Mc Govern , Subs J Ross for D Neary, M Power for N Cassidy