Match Reports‎ > ‎

Laragh up and running

posted 4 Mar 2012, 10:56 by Unknown user

Laragh Utd started their 2012 ACFL league campaign in a hard earned but fully merited victory over Kildallan in First Ulster’s Park Ballyconnell on Sunday last. The visitors put in an impressive all round performance to overcome Kildallan in the second round game of the league. Pitch conditions were good despite the heavy rainfall over the last few weeks. Laragh, playing against the wind opened with a great point from Noel Smith in the first minute of the half. Kildallan corner forward Daragh McGovern converted a free in the fourth minute to leave the sides level. Laragh responded with a great ball won by Gerry Murray who laid off to Colm McKenna coming through to kick a great point against the wind. Laragh built on this in a great move, again from McKenna laying off to Gerry Murray, who found Paddy Rudden who tapped it over the bar. Rudden worked hard in the first half and a free won by Liam Brady was taken by Rudden 20 metres out who found the top corner of the net. Exchanges were getting tough around the middle of the field and Noel Smith worked hard on the left wing and was unlucky to knock the next shot wide off the post. In the sixteenth minute Laragh backs under pressure gave away a free kick which was tapped over by the Kildallan corner forward Darren Mc Govern. Laragh responded with Shane O Rourke winning a great ball in the half back line which was kicked into Gerry Murray who laid off to Paddy Rudden who again tapped it over the bar from a difficult angle.

Kildallan were awarded two frees in the 21st and 29th minutes. However McGovern kicking the first one wide was not found wanting for the second converting it into a great point against the wind. The half time score was Laragh 1-04 Kildallan 3 points.

A slow start for both sides in the second half with Kildallan kicking wide. Ruairí Power opened the score line with a free taken 20 metres out, given from a foul on Colm McKenna. Kildallan dug deep and started attack from the half back line. However a shot taken from the half forward line was kicked wide. The Laragh goalie Martin Smith was tested with a one on one encounter eight minutes into the second half with the ball going wide. Laragh midfielder Colin Oates worked well to hold onto the ball laying it off to Enda Cullivan who hit a high ball over the bar from 30 metres out.

Laragh continued to attack but attempts from Shane O Rourke and Gerry Murray proved unsuccessful. Kildallan midfielder Fergal Maguire hit a high ball into corner forward Daragh McGovern but a foul committed by the Laragh full back forced the referee to award a penalty to the Kildallan side. This was taken by McGovern however a great save made by the Laragh goalie sent the ball out to the Kildallan half forward who shot a great point over the bar from the left side. Kildallans forwards fought hard but the Laragh backs worked well getting in some great tackles to keep the scores at bay. Kildallans, Daragh McGovern converted two more frees in the21st and 25th minutes.

The final score of the game came from Laragh with a ball worked well up the field with passes from Seamus Cooney and Paddy  Rudden laid on to Colm McKenna to place a great point over the bar.

The final score was Laragh 1-07, Kildallan 6 points. The Laragh men will be happy with the result with Kildallan always being hard beat on their home turf.