Match Reports‎ > ‎

Second half push gives Laragh Spoils

posted 8 Jun 2012, 12:57 by Unknown user

Arva v Laragh United
Saturday 2
June 2012

PJ Duke Park was the venue for Saturday evenings clash between Laragh and Arva although there was a little light rain pitch conditions were at their best. The Arva side started the game on a great high by gaining a point from Johnny Mc Cabe in the first play of the match. They continued to keep the pressure on after knocking two wide of the post Conal Sheridan took the next score a point coming from a free taken 30 metres out. Laraghs marksman Ruairí Power opened the Laragh score sheet with his first point 11 minutes into the game. However Arva pushed forward after missing one wide of the post in their next play, with a ball well worked up the field, a deflection came of the crossbar to find the hands of number 12 Cieran Brady who planted it into the bottom corner of the net. Again Arva continued and some great tackling and hard work by number 15 Brian Ellis, deservedly got him his first point of the game. The next play saw Laraghs half forward Colin Mc Kenna make a great run up the field and with some link play between Paddy Rudden and Adrian Cooney ended with a Mc Kenna point well taken 25metres out. Arva responded from the kick out and after a fantastic run from the Arva full back James Morris whom had a great game, carried the ball the length of the field to end with a Cieran Brady point. Declan King took Laraghs next score again a good point some distance out in which he worked hard to break some good tackles. Arva pushed on and a ball played into the full forward line by number 11 Dara Mc Glade ended in a fantastic goal well caught and taken by Ray Daily for the Arva side. The game continued score for score with Paddy Rudden taking Laraghs next point from the left side. Brain Ellis worked hard for Arvas next score carrying the ball from the midfield area to end with a point. The 26th minute saw Adrian Cooney get his first score of the game for the Laragh side. The first half ended as it started with a point for the Arva side coming of Dara Mc Glade after he won a breaking ball from a well taken 45.

The second half saw a much more together and determined Laragh side emerge gaining three points in the first three minutes of the half, scores coming from Adrian Cooney, Ruairí Power and Paddy Rudden. Arva got their first score of the half 5 minutes in coming from Cieran Brady. Laraghs forward line was working well and gained the next three points of the game with scores coming from Conal Donohoe, Paddy Rudden and Adrian Cooney. Laraghs defence was also tested and some good tackling kept momentum going. However Arva gained the next score a point coming from a well taken free by Conal Sheridan. Again Laragh scored three unanswered points coming from Paddy Rudden, Dara Brady and Shane O Rourke whom made a great run up the field. This left the scores tied 14 points to 2-08 with 23 minutes gone. The excitement continued to build with both teams again exchanging scores. The referee was also kept busy with yellow card been given to both sides for fouls given for very determined tackles. However coming into the 30th minute Laraghs Ruairí Power put his side ahead knocking over a well taken free. The last play of the game saw Laraghs super-sub Noel Smith take his side over the line with a well taken score to end on the final whistle. Both teams will be happy with their performances as both sides were determined and dug deep in an effort to take the win.

Laragh United: M Smith, P Fitzmons, paddy Smith, B Cullivan, D King, S O Rourke, S Cooney,  D Brady, E Cullivan, A Cooney, P Rudden, C Mc Kenna, R Power, G Murray, C Donohoe. Subs D Brady for P Fitzmons (Half Time) and N Smith for Gerry Murray (46th Minute)