News‎ > ‎

Laragh lose to league leaders

posted 26 Jun 2011, 04:31 by Unknown user   [ updated 19 Jul 2011, 04:14 ]
Laragh Utd 1-10
Mountnugent 1-15

Mountnugent consolidated their table-topping berth in Division Three of the ACFL when they impressed at PJ Duke Park, Stradone last weekend.

The frontrunners weren't at all flattered by their five point winning margin and, indeed, had they reaped the ultimate dividend from two gilt-edged goal chances in the first half could have won more convincingly.

In completing the home and away double over Laragh, the league leaders were all but home and hosed once Graham Patterson burst through the United defence to rattle home his team's only goal with 51 minutes on the clock.

Patterson's belter propelled the visitors into a 1-12 to 0-6 lead and left United with a mountainous task to retrieve the situation.

The game was played in perfect playing conditions and the players responded by serving up a fine contest which augurs well for their respective championship ambitions.

Laragh had slightly the better of things in the opening quarter but after Ciaran Caffrey responded in kind to a very good Enda Cullivan score, United were just 0-3 to 0-2 in front by the 15th minute.
Mountnugent slowly but surely began to win the lion's share of possession in and around the cockpit but they were to record 11 first half wides plus squander those two aforementioned clear goal chances.

Eventually the visitors began to make in-roads at converting their hard won possession into the coinage of scores with two converted frees from Urick Reilly helping their cause.

With Derek Hand supplementing the work of a tigerish full-back line, Laragh held firm and Paddy Rudden replied for Laragh to tie up the scores at 0-4 apiece with 25 minutes on the clock.
Two minutes later though Mountnugent nipped into the lead for the first time in the match courtesy of a fine point from Adam Patterson.

Laragh gritted their teeth once more and managed to edge into a 0-6 to 0-5 lead at half-time time after Martin Joe Smith and Colm McKenna found the target.

Laragh would be left to rue a poor third quarter display which handed the initiative to their fired-up visitors.

With countyman Givney in fine form and a slew of lieutenants to help him out, the Meath border side ratchetted up the pressure on their hosts with Givney and Ronan Caffrey both nabbing a brace.
Laragh did their best to stem Mountnugent's rising tide but two converted frees from Urick Reilly and Patterson's timely goal left the writing on the wall for the hosts.

To their credit, Laragh refused to throw in the towel even in the face of a nine point (0-6 to 1-12) deficit with just nine minutes left to play.

United actually went onto out-score their opponents in the dregs of the game with Colm McKenna and Paddy Rudden showing good leadership and accuracy in the business end of the field for the trailing team.

Still, Mountnugent kept their hands on the tiller and Ronan Caffrey and Ciaran Caffrey each pointed to sandwich a late effort from the hosts' Darragh Brady.


Laragh Utd: Brian Carolan; Shane O'Rourke, Colm Hand, Enda Clarke; Barry Cullivan, Liam Brady (0-1), Declan King; Enda Cullivan (0-1), Derek Hand; David Reilly, Darragh Brady (0-3), Seamus Cooney; Martin Joe Smith (0-1), Paddy Rudden (0-2), Colm McKenna (0-2).
Sub:  Adrian Cooney (1-0) for David Reilly.

Mountnugent: Liam Smith; Owen Smith, Killian Fitzsimons, Kevin Plunkett; Ronan Kearney (0-1), Felim Farrelly, Charlie Adams; David Givney (0-2), Thomas Brady; Adam Patterson (1-1), Graham Patterson (0-1), Raymond Finnegan; Ronan Caffrey (0-3), Ciaran Caffrey (0-3), Urick Reilly (0-4).

Referee: Jimmy Galligan (Lacken)