News‎ > ‎

Match Report: Laragh impress at home

posted 3 May 2011, 09:34 by Unknown user   [ updated 3 May 2011, 09:44 ]
Laragh impress at home

Laragh Utd 2-12
Arva 0-5

It was all too easy for hosts Laragh Utd last weekend as they put an impotent Arva side to the sword with the minimum of fuss at PJ Duke Park.

In what was a surprisingly lop-sided ACFL Division Three encounter, Laragh dominated proceedings from pillar to post and easily reversed the corresponding result from the 2010 season.

In carving out morale-boosting back-to-back victories, Laragh actually went 0-0 to 0-2 behind before easing into their stride and cantering past the winning post pulling up.
The town team were a grave disappointment and after their opening points - inside the first three minutes - from Raymond Daly and Peter Morris, faltered badly on their way to losing their game of damage limitation.

Arva's failure to add nothing more than just three points for the final 60 minutes of the game said it all about their challenge while also speaking volumes about Laragh's steely resolve not to allow their opponents to gain an inch of a foothold in any sector.
With the wind at their backs in the first half, Laragh played some great football to steamroll their way into a 1-7 to 0-2 interval lead.

Ruairi Power was on fire in the first half and in a ten minute spell either side of the opening quarter mark, fired over four points to help hoist his side into a 0-6 to 0-2 lead by the 23rd minute.

In that period, Arva managed to create quite a few decent scoring chances but their finishing was poor and it came back to haunt them too.

In the 25th minute, Laragh drove a dagger into Arva's chances of redemption with Derek Hand collecting a high punt forward, turning and firing the ball into the Arva net to help the hosts into an eight point half-time lead.

Attacking the dressing-room end of the pitch in the second half, Laragh conceded the opening point of the half to Arva's James Morris but a brace of points over the next five minutes restored the status quo

The second half proceeded to be all but a carbon copy of the opening moiety with Arva continuously on the backfoot against an increasingly confident opposition.

Gavin Doyle notched a point for Arva in the 42nd minute but even at that juncture, his score had consolation stamped all over it.

As things panned out, the game was totally finished as a contest when Paddy Rudden goaled in the 47th minute to leave Laragh coasting on the back of a 2-10 to 0-4 score line.

The lights remained fixed on green for the hosts thereafter with only a Peter Morris point at the death interrupting their momentum as preceding points from Ruairi Power and Colm Smith served to suitably embellish Laragh's winning margin.

Laragh Utd: Martin Smith; Shane O'Rourke, Colm Hand, Enda Clarke; Liam Brady (0-2), Declan King, Barry Cullivan; Enda Cullivan, Declan Brady  (0-1), Derek Hand (1-0), Darragh Brady (0-1), David Reilly; Ruairi Power (0-6), Paddy Rudden (1-1), Gerry Murray.
Subs: Colm Smith (0-1), for G Murray; Dallan McKenna for D Reilly; Philip Devine for R Power; Philip Fitzsimons for B Cullivan.

Arva: Gareth Lynch; Thomas Brady, Sean McManus, Shane Bouchier; Shane Ellis, Kieran Brady, Shane McEntee; Brian Fitzpatrick, James Morris (0-1); Colin McEntee, Gavin Doyle (0-1), Paul Brady; Barry Ellis, Raymond Daly (0-1), Peter Morris (0-2).

Referee:  Brian Seagrave (Drumlane)