News‎ > ‎

Match Report: Laragh impress in opener

posted 28 Mar 2011, 09:29 by Unknown user   [ updated 28 Mar 2011, 09:52 ]
Sunday, 27 March 2011
ACFL Division 3- Round 1
Laragh Utd 2-18
Maghera 0-4

Laragh United posted notice of their intention to make a bold bid for promotion from Division 3 of the ACFL this year with a resounding victory over visitors Maghera at PJ Duke Park on Sunday last.

United were as dominant on the day as the final scoreline suggests with their high tempo football, impressive fitness and fluid football far too potent a cocktail for the visitors to combat.

The hosts had a lot going for themselves - albeit against limited opponents - with the division of labour shown by the side being a particular stand-out feature of their afternoon's work.

Indeed, that respect the fact that nine players made the scoresheet over the hour augurs well for the punch the team carries this year.

For their part, Maghera will be anxious to put this opening round horror show behind them as quickly as possible.

The Meath-border side never looked like testing their opponents but their cause wasn't helped by Keith Brady's dismissal in the 41st minute after he committed a straight red card offence.

In truth, the issue was already done and dusted by the time Maghera were reduced to 14 men as Laragh led by 2-9 to 0-2 at that juncture.

Ironically, Laragh actually trailed after some 52 seconds when Jason Fitzsimons pointed to put the visitors into the lead.

It was to be the one and only time Maghera would have their noses in front though.

Laragh were slow to get out of the starting blocks and it wasn't until the 8th minute when Colm McKenna set up Paddy Rudden for a point that United got into their stride.

By the end of the first quarter the rather sluggish homesters had eased their way into a 0-3 to 0-1 lead but it wasn't until the 29th minute when Seamus Cooney converted a penalty that United landed on easy street.

Leading by 1-9 to 0-2 at half-time, Laragh erased any doubt as to the destination of the spoils within ten minutes of the restart.

Enda Cullivan pointed and then Seamus Cooney all but wrapped up the tie with a well-taken goal in the 39th minute.

Two Declan King points followed amidst a procession of Laragh scores in the third quarter before Brian McHugh converted a free for the visitors in the 46th minute.

From there to the finish, Maghera worked overtime as they played out their game of damage limitation and they actually landed the final point of the game from Brian Duffy.

Unfortunately for the blue and blacks, Laragh's final quarter display saw them put in some much-needed scoring practice to underpin their ascendancy ahead of a difficult away trip to Mountnugent next weekend.

Laragh Utd: Brian Carolan; Barry Cullivan, Enda Clarke, Philip Fitzsimons; Dallan McKenna, Colm McKenna, Liam Brady (0-2); Declan Brady, Enda Cullivan (0-2); Declan King (0-2), Paddy Rudden (0-3), David Reilly (0-2); Ruairi Power (0-3), Gerry Murray, Seamus Cooney (2-1).
Subs: Colm Hand (0-1) for D McKenna; Ray Maguire (0-2) for R Power; Darragh Brady for P Rudden; Derek Hand for L Brady.

Maghera: Martin McGrath; Christy Bradley, Seamus Cahill, Kevin Lynch; Joseph Hanley, Brian Duffy (0-1), Keith Brady; Tommy Tobin, Brian McHugh (0-1); James Brady, Andrew Brady, Paddy Tobin; Martin O'Reilly, Jason Fitzsimons (0-1), Joe Lynch (0-1).
Referee: Stephen McKiernan (Ballyconnell First Ulsters)