News‎ > ‎

Sheridan saves Munterconnacht

posted 14 Jun 2011, 10:20 by Unknown user   [ updated 14 Jun 2011, 10:33 ]

Sheridan saves Munterconnacht

Laragh Utd 0-13
Munterconnacht 1-10

A goal in the dregs of the game by Stephen Sheridan denied Laragh all two points at PJ Duke Park when Munterconnacht came calling last weekend.

In what was a top notch division three league game liberally laced with all that is positive about Gaelic football, Laragh looked odds-on to nab the victory.

The recording of five points by Laragh without reply in 12 final quarter minutes seemed set to leave the Meath-border side licking their wounds only for Sheridan to play the part of party pooper to a tee.

With both teams vying for top spot in the league and buoyed by the news of Mountnugent's shock defeat by Corlough, the game was open and free-flowing throughout.

In excellent playing conditions, the fare served up was arguably the best seen in the division this year and even the most partisan Laragh fan would doubtless concur that a fair result transpired even if Munterconnacht spurned a couple of chances at the death to clinch a dramatic win.

The early part of the game panned out as a stereotypical tit-for-tat affair with one team and then the other on the frontfoot only to be halted in their tracks in double-quick time.

Goalscorer Sheridan pointed in the 9th minute to give his side the odd point in five but within 90 seconds Paddy Rudden worked the oracle by drawing his side level with a neat point.

The sides continued to swap points with great vim and vigour but after Darragh Brady converted a free to cut Laragh's deficit to a single point, 0-3 to 0-4, with 21 minutes on the clock, the visitors hit a rich vein of form in the run-up to the interval.

Points from John McCabe (two frees), Darragh Carroll and Stephen Sheridan had Laragh on the retreat as they faced into a 0-4 to 0-6 deficit with seven minutes left to play in the first half.
The remainder of the half saw Laragh up the ante with points from Paddy Rudden, Enda Cullivan and MJ Smith helping their side draw level, 0-7 apiece, at the interval.

Laragh were up against the ropes though as the second half gathered pace with a brace of fisted points by John McCabe serving to turn the screw on United.

Munterconnacht were in the box seat in leading by 0-10 to 0-7 entering the final quarter but it was at that juncture that Laragh hit top form.

A stream of points from the hosts followed as Munterconnacht wilted under the pressure and when Derek Hand fisted over a point in the 54th minute, suddenly Laragh were 0-13 to 0-10 to the good.

Laragh worked overtime thereafter to safeguard their cushioned lead but Munterconnacht gritted their teeth.

In a frenetic finish to the match, John McCabe's inviting delivery was latched onto by match-saver Sheridan and the Laragh net billowed.

Laragh could have been put to the sword in the dying seconds but deservedly held on for a share of the spoils.


Laragh Utd: Brian Carolan; Shane O'Rourke, Colm Hand, Enda Clarke; Barry Cullivan, Declan King, Liam Brady; Enda Cullivan (0-2), Declan Brady; David Reilly, Darragh Brady (0-3), Derek Hand (0-2); Martin Joe Smith (0-1), Paddy Rudden (0-4), Colm McKenna.
Subs: Colin Oates for Declan Brady; Seamus Cooney (0-1) for D Reilly.

Munterconnacht: Niall McEnroe; Thomas Brady, Peter Cullen, Niall Sheridan; Jamie Hetherton, Terry McCabe, Eoin Healy; Daniel Nolan, Stephen Sheridan (1-3); Sean Nolan, John McCabe (0-4), Stephen Keogan; Brian Cullen, Darragh Carroll (0-3), Colm Caffrey.


Referee: Donal Reilly (Kingscourt)